Content of this article:
The main possible stages of work
The process is creative, liberating, interesting, requires a certain amount of imagination, and also allows you to save money - after all, it will cost more to buy a new chair than to re-paint an old one.
Updated coffee table for the living room
Before embarking on a restoration, it is necessary to understand which stages of work in it exist at all. Some of them are optional, some depend solely on what kind of furniture we are talking about:
You cannot do without this stage - on it you need to pull out a piece of furniture that does not suit you, into the light, and then, with a critical glance, estimate what repair it will need. Is it polished? So, you will need to either update the polish, or remove. Is it not polished? It means that other means are needed, direct work with wood. Do you want to completely transform it? How exactly - change the color, apply the picture, age? And, of course - does he have legs, which break, crates, which get stuck in the grooves, other similar unpleasant things.
Children's classic style
Chairs, tables, other simple items are not needed. But if you are going to restore the cabinet, you will need to pull out all the drawers from it, unscrew all the handles, remove all the shelves, otherwise the work will not be done at the proper level.
Without this stage, too, can not do. It is necessary to brush away the dust from the furniture, wipe it with a damp cloth with detergent to degrease and only then start repairing it.
Work with cracks, chips, other minor defects. Often it is enough for the thing to play with new colors. Updating polishing on polished things complements minor repairs, and removing it prepares the thing for further metamorphosis, if you intend to completely change it.
Updated white sofa
This step is not necessary - you can easily stop on painting small cracks or polishing the surface. But if you want a chair, table or cabinet to start looking new, you can paint, wear out, paint, paste an additional layer of veneer on top.
Thing needs to be re-evaluated with a critical eye. Are there any cracks in hard-to-reach places, is it well polished, does fresh paint come off it? After that it can be used.
If you do not know what kind of things your repair needs and whether you want to change it completely, it means that you just need more information to think about.return to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
If a thing does not shine and its surface is clearly not polished, it means that it does not need to renew the polish - it is enough just to use recommendations for the care of wooden furniture.
New life for the bedside table in the hallway
For this thing you need to bring to the light and evaluate which of the following defects it has.return to menu ↑
Loss of gloss
The first possible - the thing lost gloss. This happens with a tree just from time to time, from the fact that it is standing and gathering dust, because it is touched by hands. If the surface seems worn and lost its original color, you need:
- buy wood care products with orange oil in any hardware store;
- take a clean sponge, dip it in water and heat for thirty seconds in the microwave - or steam it, as long as it feels almost hot to the touch;
- spray spray onto the surface with a spray bottle and wipe it with a hot sponge.
Classic is always in fashion
You should wear gloves when working, and the sponge, when it starts to cool, needs to be reheated again.
If the thing is painted - for example, a wooden tabletop - you need to use a different recipe:
- Dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and carefully wipe the countertop;
- wait until dry and wipe with a dry soft cloth to remove plaque;
- in a liter of warm water pour two teaspoons of ammonia and again wipe the countertop with such a composition.
Renovated Bedside Floor Lamp
If the tree is not simple and not painted, but varnished, we need a third approach:
- pour a tablespoon of any dishwashing detergent into a liter of warm water and carefully wipe the surface to degrease it;
- wipe a second time, but with a cloth dipped in plain water;
- wait until dry, and wipe with a small amount of vegetable oil.
Padding upholstered furniture can be done independently
As a result, the thing will become bright, as if updated. Often, these simple recipes are enough to make things look good and no further restoration is required.return to menu ↑
Stains and dirt
The second is the presence of stains and dirt. You can approach the question in different ways:
- Small scuffs and old faded spots can be rubbed with banana peel.
- Simple spots are not clear from what, which are not removed with a banana, you need to clean up differently. First clean the surface with water and detergent, and then wipe it with alcohol - not completely, but only the affected areas. If the color is not restored, they can be painted over with a suitable color marker for furniture, or you can try to remember what they are from and mix them up in other ways.
Small scuffs and faded spots can be wiped with banana peel
- Fat and fumes on the kitchen cabinets must first be rubbed with talcum powder so that they grab, and then brush the resulting dirty powder with a rag. Then dilute two teaspoons of ammonia with a liter of water and wipe.
- The whitewash and emulsion paint are washed off with a cloth, which is dipped in a mixture of wine vinegar and olive oil - three drops of the second onto a glass of the first.
The main thing - that the cloth was barely wet, and not dripping the mixture everywhere.
- White spots of water that remain if you put a wet glass on wooden furniture or spill something, sprinkle flour. Then moisten cloth with butter - corn, olive, palm or regular sunflower - and wipe the surface. Then wipe again, velvet.
Fat and fumes on the kitchen cabinets need to rub talcum powder, then shake off a rag
- White spots of hot, which remain if you put a hot frying pan or pan on wooden furniture, wipe with a heated mixture of paraffin and wax of the desired shade in the ratio of one to one. Then cover with a paper napkin, folded in several layers, and ironed with an iron. The result is polished with felt or another coarse cloth.
Beautiful, updated furniturereturn to menu ↑
The third is the presence of cracks, chips and other mechanical damage. The recipes here are also numerous:
- If the furniture is lacquered and small cracks appear on it from time to time, a mixture of ethyl alcohol and burdock oil will help in a one-to-one ratio. Apply necessarily white cloth, the best flannel. Rubbed with felt.
- If the lacquered furniture has a deep scratch from an unsuccessful mechanical impact, you can paint it with a regular furniture marker or iodine - you can dilute it with water to achieve the desired shade.
- If there is a scratch on lacquered furniture that has already turned white, you can use a shoe cream of a suitable color or a mixture of mastic with wax in a ratio of four to three. The result must be polished.
Stylish, leather sofa
- If the furniture remains chipped, then you have to use a putty, and preferably a special furniture. It is better to buy a light tone, to achieve the desired color Kohler. Then apply on the chip, smudge so that it was completely closed, and the putty evenly spread over the surface. Wait until it dries, and wipe with fine-grained sandpaper.
- If the furniture is swollen from moisture - not completely, but only in one place - it is covered with salt with a couple of drops of vegetable oil. Salt will absorb water, oil will return flexibility to wood. The result, again, wipe with a cloth.
All these simple manipulations are often quite enough for the furniture to start looking good and no further restoration needed.
But if you want the thing to look not just updated, but in a completely new way, you can process it additionally.
Cabinet in modern stylereturn to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
Cabinet in modern stylereturn to menu ↑
A layer of lacquer is not always needed on furniture, since you will not be able to carry out any additional manipulation with it if there is varnish on it. No color, no age, no mosaic.
Therefore, if simple cleaning is not enough for you, you can use one of the proven methods of nail polish removal:
- Turpentine, ammonia or denatured alcohol. Dip a layer of thin metal wool into the solution and carefully wipe the surface with which you need to remove the varnish. If he is not too old and not too eaten into wood, he will move away.
- Acetone. Suitable for removing varnish from a horizontal surface. In acetone you need to dip a rag, spread it on a piece of furniture, from which the varnish is removed, and cover with polyethylene on top. After half an hour, the lacquer will go away and become much more pliable. You can remove it using a conventional spatula.
- Specialized formulations. Can be purchased at any hardware store. Before use, be sure to read the instructions - if you overdo the composition, it will be absorbed into the wood and it will not be possible not only to lacquer a second time, but also to apply at least something to it.
- Sandpaper. If the polishing is old, eaten, no means will make it soften. The only way is to remove it with your hands, using sandpaper. First you need to rub a piece with a large grain, until a layer of wood appears. Then you need to take a piece of fine grain and polish so that you get a smooth, uniform surface. If you have a grinder, you can use it - then the cleaning of varnish will take not a few hours, but about half an hour.
Use the most suitable methods for restoration.
- Glass. Alternative to sandpaper. You need a sharp fragment, the edge of which can be removed varnish thin chips. When deepenings, cracks and other minor defects will occur, they can be cleaned with a sharp edge. When the base layer is removed, you can use fine sandpaper to remove the residue.
The paint is removed exactly according to the same principle and the effect after removing it remains the same - a flat wooden surface that is ready to absorb any coating that you decide to apply.BoardWhen you are doing lacquering, do it in a separate room, removing the rest of the furniture and opening a window. This will make it easier for you to remove the falling chips and breathe easier.
Children's with a pirate themereturn to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
Furniture processing methodsreturn to menu ↑
This idea - to repaint the piece of furniture that is tired - comes to mind to all who once decide to do the restoration at home. And this is logical, because it is much easier to paint a chair than to paint it or do decoupage.
There are several types of paint that can be used:
- Acrylic. Dries quickly, looks beautiful, very stable, gives a bright color. It can be diluted with water, if you need to get a different shade, and yet it does not have a strong unpleasant odor - the room is sufficiently ventilated after use. In addition, there are acrylic paints in cans. They provide uniform spraying, facilitate access to places that are difficult to reach with a brush, and often make the coloring more interesting.
- Enamel. Gives a bright glossy color, like acrylic, holds no worse, but it has a specific pungent odor that does not erode for several days.
- Oily. Gives a matte color, water is not washed off and not divorced. Usually used when a base is needed for painting.
Black and white wall in the living room
- Nitro, glyptal and pentaphthalic paints. Give a bright, glossy, very durable color. Unlike acrylic, oil and enamels do not just form a layer on the surface, but penetrate into the fibers. As long as they do not soak to a certain depth, the color will fade, but as soon as the impregnation is over, it will be impossible to remove the paint, only with a layer of wood. As a result, they are used for furniture that will be used in harsh conditions — for example, it is a good idea to paint a table for dachas with them, which from spring to autumn stands on the street.
- Stain. Translucent paint that emphasizes the structure of the tree. It happens in different colors, but still does not look completely natural. Forms a layer that, if necessary, can be removed with sandpaper.
- Trauma. Not paint in the full sense of the word - a special tool that penetrates the wood fibers and, interacting with natural tannins, provides a deep natural color. Sandpaper is not removed, not suitable for every wood.
Before applying, you need to try on a small area not in a prominent place - the presence of tannins depends on how old the tree is.
Classic style dining areaBoardChoose paint should be depending on what effect you want to achieve.
Before you directly apply the paint, it is necessary to prime the tree so that it is more resistant to moisture, and the layer does not move after a couple of months.
Choose the same color, focusing on both their own tastes and the properties of the interior:
- Natural. A real tree looks beautiful and noble - these are its main advantages. In classical styles, no painted table, no painted chest will not look as good as the same table and chest, but soaked with stain.
Interior in loft design
- Light warm colors. Fit into interiors with the same bright warm shades. They bring a feeling of comfort and warmth, but they make the room slightly smaller in sensation. Furniture in them is well suited for Provence, for example.
- Light cold shades. They fit into the same cold interiors, make the room visually larger, but also colder and stricter. Furniture in them is well suited for minimalism, for the Scandinavian style.
- Dark warm shades. They combine well with each other - the furniture in them can become just a magnificent bright accent in the room, especially if you paint it not in one color, but in several, combining them. But it can, again, reduce the room. Good for kitsch and country styles.
- Dark cold shades. Strict, making the room feel cool, they look good in rooms where you plan to do business - but in the bedroom they will look somewhat alien.
Art Nouveau style
Light shades easier to get dirty, mechanical damage is visible on dark ones.
Also take into account that it is possible to paint furniture not only in one color:
- Plain furniture. It looks simple and uniform, perceived as a single array. Well suited for conservative interiors, where it should not have an accent - or it can act as the only bright spot.
- Furniture in two colors. Two colors in one thing are more interesting. They should be either matching, best shades, or contrasting. It is possible to paint a thing with a strip, it is possible with polka dots - these are solutions either for a creative interior, or for a nursery - or you can simply select accessories with auxiliary colors and this will also look good.
White color is difficult to maintain.
- Furniture in three colors. Already more difficult, although also interesting. All colors should be either matching, or shades of each other, or contrasting.Most often, a combination of three is used when something motley is done in the nursery, or when the subject is so large that all three colors have a place to go well together.
- Four and more colors - this is not so much coloring as painting, and it is usually approached with other criteria.
High-tech style in the bedroomreturn to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
Painting and decoupage
Painting - in fact, the same color, only requiring a little more skill. Usually used for it:
- Gouache. Standard paint for drawing on anything, down to a sheet of paper. It does not give a clear bright color on the tree, because it is usually painted either on the stain or on the oil paint. It does not require dilution with water, it allows you to perfectly imitate Russian crafts of the past centuries.
- Oily. The same paint, which can paint the base, and is suitable in order to draw a pattern. Gives a matte, beautiful, clear color.
- Aniline. They are usually painted fabrics, but in order to paint the tree, they also fit.
All the power
Drawing on the tree can be any.
For example, imitation of Russian folk crafts is very popular:
- Mezensky. One of the oldest industries, which originated a long time ago near the river Mezen. Combines only two colors - black and red with a bias in ocher. His elements are simple: crosses, dashes, leaves, circles. Sometimes there are figures of deer, horses and birds, very simple and consisting of only a few geometric shapes. Static ornaments, can depict them even a person who does not know how to draw.
- Gorodetsky. The middle of the nineteenth century, is already more complicated than the Mezen. The colors are various, usually light colors, all drawings have a white or black stroke. Not the simplest ones: flowers, leaves, genre scenes with people who celebrate, go for a walk, gathered by a samovar, sometimes fluffed roosters, horses, lions or leopards, most often - opposite each other.
- Zhostovsky. The middle of the nineteenth century, the city Zhostovo. Most commonly used for
- painting trays, but no one will prevent you to paint the same chair. The background is black or red, the main motif is a bouquet of flowers, made in a realistic style. Sometimes it is complemented by fruit.
- Chocholom. Seventeenth century, Novgorod. The background is black, the colors are green, red and gold. Khokhloma does not accept other colors. The main motive - strawberries or strawberries in the frame of intricate sheets. Sometimes you can meet birds, but this is rare.
- Gzhel. It is used usually for painting dishes, but also found in furniture. The background is white, the main color is blue, sometimes supplemented with a black or white stroke. Patterns are usually simple - crosses, squares, flowers with large petals. Sometimes you can find a bird that looks like a heron or crane.
Stylish loft room
Furniture, painted under folk crafts, fits perfectly into the Russian style - better than in any other. Also suitable for the nursery, in which you can show imagination and combine things at will, and not according to the canons of style.
Also painting can be:
- Geometric pattern. It is much easier to portray it than the folk, even a person who has never painted can handle it. You can pre-draw the markup and draw on it.
- Floral pattern. It occurs often, fits into most ethnic styles.
- Plot scene. Good for a child's room, where the scene depicted on the closet from a beloved cartoon can delight the kid.
Transfiguration for a chair
The image can be any, depending on the fantasy. The main thing is to act carefully, and first try on a small plank in order to fully believe in your abilities.
The effect, similar to the effect of painting, gives decoupage - a thin napkin with an interesting image is glued to the tree. It can be flowers, birds, angels - anything, in fact, as long as you like it.
The technology is simple:
- clean and degrease the surface;
- get a napkin and gently grease it with a layer of white glue;
- lay on the surface so that no folds remain, smooth well.
Creative solution for the sofaAny colorless furniture lacquer will do - just to make sure that everything is fine with it and the design will not deteriorate, you can try how it will dry on some unnecessary plank. Return to menu ↑ return to menu
In addition to the most simple and obvious methods of restoration, there are other, less familiar ones.
Among them:ScotchStrange as it may seem, ordinary colored tape can help you to update a boring piece of furniture. If you take several rolls of different colors, you can make it striped by simply sticking tape on it with strips - first one color, then another. Can be made homogeneous. Of course, the result will not look in expensive classical interiors, but in modern, democratic ones - completely.
Bedroom in pastel colorsVeneeringA method that resembles something like decoupage and taping with scotch tape. You need to buy a sheet of veneer of the color you like, cut out parts of suitable size from it and, using PVA glue, glue it to the thing.
As a result, it will look even and similar to the real tree itself, only without all its inherent flaws.InlayYou can buy a sheet of veneer, but instead of just taking it and sticking it onto a thing, cut it into small pieces and fold a picture of them. The result will be something like a mosaic - multi-colored, if the pieces are painted in different colors. When they are ready, you will need to take a piece of paper and stick them on it in mirror image compared to the picture that should be made. Then the sheet is glued with PVA glue on the right place, and the paper is carefully cleaned with emery paper. The result is very impressive.WaxingIf the wood is rubbed with soft wax, it will get a pleasant matte shade inherent in the old, beautiful things. The only disadvantage is that you have to repeat the operation regularly, otherwise the wax will be erased and the thing will start to look shabby.
Dark brown corner sofaCraquelureOne of two ways to beautifully make old furniture. In fact, this is a special paint, which, after it was applied to a layer of the previous one, which is still wet, paints, resulting in small cracks. The result looks quite impressive.Furniture PatinaFirst, metal paint is applied to the wood - usually in bronze - and it is waited for it to dry. Then they begin to apply a patina - a drop in the bulge, shade it in rough, and then shade in the direction of the bulge. If the surface is smooth, put the paint first on the edges.